This seminar will provide an understanding of how shadows from buildings can negatively impact people, green spaces and other buildings, how they are regulated, and how they can be prevented. Case studies where shadows caused noteworthy impacts will be discussed. Regulatory approaches related to shadow around the world will be compared and contrasted as well. As will the strengths and weaknesses of various modelling techniques, including how assumptions in the simulations influence results. The goal is to inform designers, so potential issues can be correctly identified and prevented during design
- Understand the impacts shadows have in an urban environment.
- Gain an understanding of how shadow impacts are regulated in various jurisdictions and how those regulations impact building design.
- Learn how assumptions in preliminary modelling influence shadow impact predictions.
- Discover approached to use simulation data to prevent impacts during design.
- Observe strategies which have been used to reduce the impact of shadows post construction.