This seminar will provide an understanding of how solar reflections from buildings can negatively impact their neighbors, why they occur, and how they can be prevented. An overview of what circumstances can cause visual glare and solar focusing will be discussed. The key considerations for a design team during the initial design stages will be presented. The aim is to provide designers with knowledge of the causes and potential risks associated with uncontrolled solar reflections so that potential problems can be identified and remedied pre-construction.
- Understand the conditions that can lead to solar reflections and their negative effects on the surrounding environment.
- Learn about techniques that can be applied during design to reduce the frequency, intensity and duration of solar reflections.
- Learn how to identify building features that may cause problems related to solar reflections.
- Observe strategies that have been employed to mitigate solar reflection issues in existing buildings.
- Gain an understanding of the potential hazards associated with uncontrolled solar reflections in an urban context.